Is it possible to send healing to an individual without their consent? Can sending Reiki without permission cause harm? What happens if you send energy and it is refused? How can you tailor your practice to ensure that you are using your healing power in full integrity and according to divine will? These are all important questions for any lightworker to confront.
Most energy healers have a strong desire to help others, and few of us can resist sending healing light to the multitude of individuals we encounter throughout our day. This is definitely a noble desire; still, it is important to realize that not everyone is willing or ready to receive healing from us. Just as trespassing on private property violates human law, operating without an individual’s consent on the spiritual planes can violate sacred law. We can take steps to establish permission and set pure intentions so that our healing truly serves the highest good of all, and not just our own perception of what the world needs (as beautiful as that vision might be!).
Reiki, a divinely guided loving energy, cannot violate another’s free will and always flows in a way that serves the highest good. Because of this, it is always safe to send Reiki, just as it is safe to pray for another being. Still, sending Reiki does not necessarily mean that it will be received. Sometimes people have a higher purpose behind their experience. On an unconscious or soul level, they might have chosen to experience ill health, difficulties, and even death to learn an important lesson or to help others learn important lessons. Or, an individual simply may not be ready to “let go” of a dynamic that they feel is serving them. No matter how much healing you send these people, nothing will change because they are committed to their current paradigm.
It is simple to establish permission when you are working with clients or individuals who seek out your help. But how can you gain consent for a person who has not approached you or who is far away? One technique involves connecting with their Higher Self. This approach has the added benefit that you can ask their Higher Self for guidance on what will be most healing for the individual.
Meditation for Permission from Another’s Higher Self
1) Ground yourself and see yourself centered and full of light as you relax and breathe deeply.
2) Imagine a silver cord growing up from the top of your head. Follow this cord up and connect with your own Higher Self. Take a moment to feel her or his love for you, as your physical form merges with your Higher Self’s etheric form.
3) See the individual you are interested in sending healing to in your mind’s eye, and imagine their Higher Self floating above them.
4) Approach their Higher Self with your own. Ask if you have their permission to send healing and take note of any visuals, thoughts, feelings, or sensations that you receive. Ask for clarity if you are unsure. You might imagine a traffic light. If the signal is green, go ahead. If it is yellow, use caution. And if it is red, do not send healing. Or try to see their face and physical motions. Do they look happy if you suggest sending healing? Or do they wave their hands as if to shoo you off? This will indicate their readiness to receive.
5) If they grant you permission, ask them how they would like to receive healing, if there is a particular issue they need help with, if there is a particular technique you can use, and any other questions you might have. Take note of the response and trust your intuition. If they do not grant you permission, accept that and do not try to force healing. You can always check in at a later date, as their opinion may change.
6) Thank their Higher Self and let it know you will send healing. Draw down from your own Higher Self back into your body and ground into the present moment.
This meditation will give you a clear idea of whether another soul is open to receive healing and how they would like to receive it. Operating in this way, you can respect the boundaries and free will of another individual in your Reiki practice.
Also, it is valuable to send Reiki to another person’s Higher Self (rather than to a particular problem that you perceive), because the individual’s Higher Self knows how to dispense the energy in a way that serves their highest good. Of course, this is not always the way you would imagine healing needs to take place.
When you send Reiki to another soul, you can also intend that if the energy is rejected, it is sent to heal the earth or to empower the Reiki world peace grid. The energy may be immediately accepted, declined, or held until the person is ready. Setting this intention means the love you send will not be wasted and will not violate another’s free will.
So, check in with the Higher Self of any individual you wish to send healing to, and create a clear intention so that you do not waste your power on someone who is not willing to receive your love. We all have free will on this planet, and it is essential as lightworkers that we respect each other and surrender our small-minded conceptions of what another person needs. In this way, we can truly be a healing presence for ourselves, our communities, and our world.